December 4, 2022
Details of Daniel’s Seventy Weeks Prophecy
1. Daniel receives a prophecy that the end of human history will come after “seventy weeks” (Dan 9:24).
a. 1 week = 7 years
b. 70 x 7 = 490 years
2. The announcement to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem is given to Nehemiah by the King of Persia in 444 BC (Neh 2:4-9). This event starts the countdown on the prophetic clock of “seventy weeks.”
3. 69 periods of 7 years (483 years) pass until the death of the Messiah, the “anointed one” (33 AD). At this point, the prophetic clock temporarily pauses.
4. The “people of the prince to come” will destroy Jerusalem.
5. The last 7 years begin when the “prince who is to come,” the antichrist, makes a “strong covenant” with the leadership of Israel. This agreement effectively brings peace to the Middle East for a short time.
6. Halfway through the last 7 years, the anti-christ will commit the “abomination which causes desolation” (Matt 24:15) by proclaiming himself to be God in the reconstructed temple in Jerusalem. This action will prompt persecution towards all who refuse to worship him.
7. The 7 year tribulation period ends when the Lord Jesus Christ returns on the clouds with power and glory to defeat the antichrist and establish the Millennial Kingdom.
Point 1: God has things well in hand, and all is going according to plan.